Early life and background
Katrina Kaif have become born in Hong Kong collectively together with her mother’s surname Turquotte (moreover spelt Turcotte), on 16 July. She has seven siblings: three elder sisters named Stephanie, Christine and Natasha; three greater younger sisters named Melissa, Sonia, and Isabel; and an elder brother named Michael. Isabelle Kaif is also a model and actress.
- Kaif’s parents divorced at the same time as she have become a child, and her father moved to the United States. She said her father had no have an impact on on Kaif or her siblings on the identical time as they were growing up, and that they have got been raised via their mother. On her father’s absence in her life, Kaif said: “When I see buddies who have first rate fathers who are like pillars of help for their families, I say, if simplest I had that. But instead of complaining, I want to be thrilled approximately all the unique topics I have”. In a 2009 interview with The Indian Express, she said she was now now no longer in touch collectively together with her father.
Modelling and early film work
At the age of fourteen, Kaif obtained a beauty contest in Hawaii, and purchased her first modelling undertaking in a jewellery campaign. She ultimately modelled professionally in London, running for freelance organizations and appearing frequently at London Fashion Week. At a fashion show Kaif attracted the attention of London-based completely filmmaker Kaizad Gustad.
- He determined on her for a feature withinside the English-Hindi erotic heist film Boom as part of an ensemble solid that included Amitabh Bachchan, Gulshan Grover, Jackie Shroff, Madhu Sapre and Padma Lakshmi. While filming in India, Kaif acquired distinctive offers and decided to stay withinside the country. In 2003, she obtained be aware as a model after on foot the ramp for Rohit Bal at the India Fashion Week and appeared withinside the first Kingfisher Calendar. Kaif quick installed a a fulfillment modelling career in India after endorsing producers such as Coca-Cola, LG, Fevicol and Samsung.
- Kaif’s career as a model added approximately anticipation surrounding her Bollywood debut. Boom (2003) had its first screening at the Cannes Film Festival, and was intently promoted at the event.
- Boom became a enterprise and essential failure. Kaif’s enactment of a supermodel ensnared withinside the Mumbai underworld changed into poorly received, with Ziya U. Salam of The Hindu attributing the susceptible performances of the film’s primary ladies to “the vacuity of their expressions”. Hindustan Times advised that after Boom’s release, Kaif was written off due to her negative Hindi and thick British accent. She later not noted the film:
- “I do now no longer count Boom among important happenings in my existence. When I signed this film, I did not recognize an lousy lot about India and its film audience”. Although Kaif have become supplied a number of modelling assignments, filmmakers have been hesitant to solid her because of her horrible command of Hindi.
- In one instance, Mahesh Bhatt modified her with Tara Sharma in Saaya (2003) as he determined her an “inconsistent performer”. Subsequently, Kaif commenced out running on her diction through Hindi classes.
After the failure of her first Bollywood project, Kaif regarded withinside the Telugu film Malliswari (2004). With Daggubati Venkatesh, she carried out the call role of a princess forced to break out from her murderous caretaker. Kaif received a pronounced ₹7.5 million (US$110,000) for the film, the very pleasant profits for a South Indian film actress at the time. Despite awful critiques for her performing, Malliswari modified right into a profitable venture.
In 2005, Kaif seemed in brief as Abhishek Bachchan’s woman buddy in Ram Gopal Varma’s political thriller Sarkar. She next featured alongside Salman Khan, Sushmita Sen and Sohail Khan in Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya?, a film she considered her “very first step into Bollywood”.
- Directed through manner of way of David Dhawan, the film have become a a success remake of the romantic comedy Cactus Flower. For her feature as a suicidal model, Kaif received the Stardust Award for Breakthrough Performance – Female. According to Sukanya Verma of Rediff.com, “Katrina’s Disney princess-like attraction affords to her adorable show presence”. Kaif determined with a small detail in her second Telugu film, Allari Pidugu.
- In 2006, she appeared with Akshay Kumar for the number one of many films in Raj Kanwar’s unsuccessful Humko Deewana Kar Gaye, a story of like-minded strangers who fall in love no matter being engaged to others
- . Sify wrote that Kaif was “passably capin a position in a tailor-made role, giving a moderate emotional spin to multiple scenes” but became overshadowed thru her assisting actresses. Kaif moreover seemed with Mammootty withinside the Malayalam crime thriller Balram vs. Tharadas, in which Rishi Raj Singh of The Hindu called her universal overall performance “marvellous”.
- Kaif’s career possibilities changed in 2007, whilst she appeared in four Bollywood hits. In an interview with The Indian Express, she referred to as Vipul Amrutlal Shah’s romantic comedy Namastey London a milestone, announcing that “for the number one time, [she] had a dominating role”.
- Kaif used her life in London as a reference for her function as a spoilt British Indian female purpose on marrying her self-focused British boyfriend, no matter her dad and mom’ disapproval.