Career beginnings, leap forward and setback (2000–2003)
While education on the institute, Kapoor changed into forged because the lead in Rakesh Roshan’s Kaho Naa… Pyaar Hai (2000) contrary his son, Hrithik Roshan. Several days into the filming, however, she deserted the project; Kapoor later defined that she had benefited through now no longer doing the movie because extra prominence turned into given to the director’s son. She debuted later that 12 months along Abhishek Bachchan in J. P. Dutta’s conflict drama Refugee. Set in the course of the Indo-Pakistani battle of 1971, Kapoor turned into brought as Naaz, a Bangladeshi lady with whom Bachchan’s man or woman falls in love
- . Dutta solid her for the aggregate of youthfulness and innocence he located in her, and Kapoor taken into consideration their collaboration to be an vital gaining knowledge of revel in that helped her in my opinion and professionally. Writing for the enjoyment portal Bollywood Hungama, critic Taran Adarsh defined Kapoor as “a herbal performer” and referred to “the convenience with which she emotes the maximum hard of scenes”, and India Today pronounced that she belonged to a brand new breed of Hindi movie actors that breaks farfar from man or woman stereotypes.
- Refugee became a mild box-workplace fulfillment in India and Kapoor’s overall performance earned her the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut.
- For her 2nd release, Kapoor turned into paired contrary Tusshar Kapoor in Satish Kaushik’s box-workplace hit Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai (2001). A evaluation in The Hindu stated that primarily based totally on her first movies, she become “certainly the actress to observe out for”. She subsequent starred along Jackie Shroff and Hrithik Roshan in Subhash Ghai’s flop Yaadein, observed through Abbas-Mustan’s reasonably a success thriller Ajnabee, co-starring Akshay Kumar, Bobby Deol and Bipasha Basu.
- Later that 12 months, she seemed in Santosh Sivan’s duration epic Aśoka, a in part fictionalised account of the lifestyles of the Indian emperor of the equal name. Featured contrary Shah Rukh Khan, Kapoor observed herself challenged gambling the complicated character of her person Kaurwaki (a Kalingan princess) with whom Ashoka falls in love. Aśoka became screened on the Venice and 2001 Toronto International Film Festivals, and acquired typically tremendous critiques across the world however did not do properly in India, which become attributed with the aid of using critics to the manner Ashoka turned into portrayed.
- Jeff Vice of The Deseret News defined Kapoor as “riveting” and recounseled her display screen presence. Rediff.com, however, become extra crucial concluding that her presence withinside the movie become in general used for cultured purposes. At the forty seventh Filmfare Awards, Aśoka turned into nominated for 5 awards which includes a Best Actress nomination for Kapoor.
- A key factor in Kapoor’s profession got here while she turned into forged through Karan Johar as Pooja (“Poo”, a good-natured, superficial lady) withinside the 2001 melodrama Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham… along an ensemble solid. She determined little resemblance among herself and her “over-the-top” man or woman, and modeled Poo’s character on that of Johar. Filming the big-finances manufacturing become a brand new revel in for Kapoor, and she or he recollects it fondly: “[I]
- t turned into splendid a laugh doing [the film and] we had a blast. [W]orking with the unit and the six mega famous person set become a dream come true.” Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham… become an immensely famous release, completing as India’s 2d highest-grossing movie of the yr and Kapoor’s highest-grossing movie to that factor. It additionally have become certainly considered one among the largest Bollywood fulfillment of all time withinside the remote places market, incomes over ₹1 billion (US$14 million) worldwide. Taran Adarsh defined Kapoor as “one of the major highlights of the movie”, and he or she acquired her 2d Filmfare nomination for the position—her first for Best Supporting Actress—in addition to nominations on the International Indian Academy (IIFA) and Screen Awards.
- Box Office India said that the fulfillment of Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai and Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham… mounted Kapoor as a main actress of Hindi cinema, and Rediff.com posted that with Aśoka she had grow to be the highest-paid Indian actress to that factor incomes ₹15 million (US$210,000) consistent with movie.
- During 2002 and 2003, Kapoor endured to paintings in some of tasks however skilled a setback. All six movies wherein she starred—Mujhse Dosti Karoge!, Jeena Sirf Merre Liye, Talaash: The Hunt Begins…, Khushi, Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon, and the four-hour battle epic LOC Kargil—have been severely and commercially unsuccessful. Critics defined her performances in those movies as “versions of the identical individual” she performed in Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham…, and expressed difficulty that she turned into becoming typecast. She later spoke undoubtedly of this duration, recalling it as a useful lesson which taught her to “paintings more difficult and alternate things”, and has confessed to accepting those roles for monetary benefit in place of inventive merit.
Professional expansion (2004–2006)
- By 2004, Kapoor become keen on broadening her variety as an actress and for this reason determined to painting greater hard roles similarly to the archetypical glamorous lead. Under the course of Sudhir Mishra, Kapoor performed the function of a golden-hearted prostitute in Chameli, a movie bearing on the tale of a younger prostitute who meets with a widowed funding banker (performed with the aid of using Rahul Bose).
- When Kapoor turned into first provided the component, she exceeded on it, explaining that she might be uncomfortable withinside the function. She relented while Mishra approached her for the second one time, and in training for the position, visited numerous of Mumbai’s red-mild districts at night time to have a look at the mannerisms of intercourse employees and the manner they dressed.